What is a bar association?
Every lawyer is a mandatory member of a Bar Association. The eight Dutch-speaking Orders together form the Order of Flemish Bars Association.
There are currently eight Dutch-speaking Bars in Belgium:
- judicial district of West Flanders: West Flanders Bar Association
- Judicial district of East Flanders: Dendermonde, Ghent and Oudenaarde Bars
- judicial district of Antwerp: bar association Antwerp
- Judicial district of Limburg: Bar of Limburg
- Judicial district of Brussels: Bar of Brussels
- Judicial district of Leuven: Leuven Bar
The lawyers at the Court of Cassation form a separate Bar Association and are not part of the Order of Flemish Bars.
At the head of a bar is a staff member.