Continue to content

I have problems with my landlord

Things don't always go the way they should when you rent, which often brings (unnecessary) stress. Conflicts between with a landlord unfortunately happen more often than you might think. They are often accompanied by a lot of (legal) questions as well.

Frequently asked questions are:

  • Can my landlord just raise the rent? And what if I don't agree?
  • My landlord is cancelling the rental agreement. Can he just do that and am I entitled to compensation?
  • The problems in my house are not being addressed. How can I ensure that my landlord carries out the necessary works?
  • Can the new owner of my rental property just change the terms of my lease with my previous landlord?
  • My landlord does not want to return my rent deposit. Can he do this?
  • ...

Ambitious questions, which are often unnecessary. Many problems can be avoided with a valid, clear and comprehensive tenancy agreement. That is adapted to the specific rental regime of your property. This gives you a clear overview of the rights and obligations you can fall back on as a tenant.

Do I need a lawyer?

A lawyer can already play a useful role when drawing up the lease. They can also proofread the contract, guide you through the property description, and so on, to avoid unexpected and unwanted surprises later on.

After all, lawyers are not only there to assist you in court, but also to prevent disputes or resolve them in alternative ways. Who can help you at every stage of your tenancy problem. Moreover, with clear advice from a lawyer, you already have an additional means of pressure to finally enforce your rights.

If a problem gets out of hand and you want to have it resolved by the justice of the peace, you can first appeal to the court free of charge to start a conciliation procedure. Only in extreme cases is legal action appropriate. In both cases, do not hesitate to hire a lawyer. With his or her specific knowledge and experience, your lawyer will help you find the best and most efficient solution.

Share this article

Share this article

Find a lawyer

Not sure about your situation and want to find a lawyer near you?