Continue to content

I have problems with my tenant, now what?

Things don't always go the way they should when you rent, which often brings (unnecessary) stress. Conflicts between with a landlord unfortunately happen more often than you might think. They are often accompanied by a lot of (legal) questions as well.

Frequently asked questions are:

  • Can I terminate the tenancy agreement early if my tenant gets out of hand?
  • Can I get compensation for damage he has caused in my property?
  • Can I increase the rent?
  • Can I evict my tenant?
  • What can I do if my tenant(s) do not pay?
  • Can I have my property seized in case of non-payment?

Many problems can be avoided with a clear and comprehensive tenancy agreement, adapted to the specific rental regime that applies. This gives you a clear overview of the rights and obligations you can fall back on as landlord.

If your tenant then fails to fulfil those obligations, you obviously have the right to declare him in default. This could possibly lead to unilateral eviction.

Do I need a lawyer?

Even when the lease is being drawn up, a lawyer can play a useful role. He or she can proofread the contract, guide you through the place description, and so on. That way, you will not be faced with unexpected and unwanted surprises later on.

By the way, lawyers are not only there to assist you in court, but can also help you avoid problems or solve them in an alternative way. They can help you at every stage of your tenancy problem. Moreover, with clear advice from a lawyer, you often already have an additional means of pressure to enforce your rights.

When a problem escalates and you want to take it to the Justice of the Peace, do not hesitate to hire a lawyer. They will unburden you with their specific knowledge and experience and guide you towards the best and most efficient solution.

Share this article

Share this article

Find a lawyer

Not sure about your situation and want to find a lawyer near you?